There is always something about springtime that makes me what to start fresh– out with old and in with the new. As soon as the warm weather hits I’m ready to throw the dull winter clothes into storage and replace them with bright new colorful ones. I clean out, get organized, and rearrange almost my entire house. It’s all so refreshing! First on my list this year is a bedroom makeover, starting with this dresser update.
We inherited these drawers from my mom after we got married due to the fact that we were poor college students with hardly any money for furniture. They’re actually those inexpensive Closetmaid drawers, and while they’re nothing fancy, they certainly did the job. Really, we were just happy with anything we could get.
Well, four years later we’re still poor college students with no money for new furniture. Since we didn’t have it in the budget to go out and buy a new dresser, I basically had to work with what I had. My husband kept suggesting we paint them, but to be honest I hate painting furniture (especially laminate furniture). I simply don’t have the patience for it. After some thought, I finally came up with an easy solution to my problem…contact paper!
You all know how much I love shiny metallics so naturally I went with a faux stainless steal look. It just seems so sleek and sophisticated! The great thing about contact paper is that it is inexpensive, easy to apply, easy to replace, and comes in many different colors and patterns. So, if in a couple of months I decide I want a different look, it would be an easy fix.
Anyway, here is how I transformed my dresser in just 4 simple steps:
This whole project costed me under $15! I got my contact paper at Home Depot but you can get it on Amazon for a little cheaper. I was going to buy new hardware for it as well but it would have cost me over $25 so I settled for a $4 can of spray paint. Overall, I love how it turned out! It is the first step in my bedroom makeover and I can’t wait till it all comes together. To give you an idea of what I what the end results to look like I’ve created a little inspiration board below (final reveal to come later!).