For my main entree, I am presenting TWO different recipes that utilize the same ingredient list. I’m all about mixing it up without having to buy more ingredients. The two entrees featured are: Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup & Easy Chicken Nachos! Both are packed with veggies, protein, and the thing every kid loves…. CHEESE. If you are dairy-intolerant, try Daiya brand (carried by Costco) which comes in various shredded flavors.
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup (recipe adapted from food.com)::
– 1 (16 oz) can black beans
– 1 (16 oz) can niblet corn
– 1 (11 oz) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies (I add 1-2 cans depending on how much I want to stretch the soup)
– 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
– 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
– 1 (1 1/4 oz) envelope taco seasoning mix
– 1 (1 oz) envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
– 1 lb shredded chicken (COOKED)
DO NOT DRAIN CANS! Simply add every ingredient listed above to your slow cooker EXCEPT for your cooked chicken. That’s right — just dump it all in, stir, and leave it alone! Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. You will add your cooked chicken during the last hour of slow cooking so it doesn’t get soggy.
Garnish each bowl of soup with the following ingredients as desired:
– Crushed black corn tortilla chips (Trader Joe’s)
– Shredded cheese
– Fage Greek yogurt — YOUR NEW SOUR CREAM! Jam packed with protein & it lasts a really long time. Costco sells a massive tub of it.
– Salsa — green or red!
– Avocado slices
This is more of a free-for-all, decorate your nachos as you please. Use the ingredients listed above as you like. I buy a few extra cans of the beans & corn to use for the nachos.
Typically I use:
– Rotisserie chicken from Costco
– cooked black beans
– cooked corn
– Fage Greek yogurt
– Shredded cheese
– Avocado slice
– 2 oz. dark chocolate
– 1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
– 1/4 cup shredded unsweet coconut
– 1/2 cup sliced almonds
– 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Line a baking sheet or large plate with parchment paper or wax paper. Combine coconut, almonds, & walnuts in a bowl.
2. Melt together the chocolate & coconut oil in the microwave (on medium) in a glass bowl.
3. Stir nuts into chocolate mixture.
4. Drop spoonfuls onto baking sheet while still warm; refrigerate until set.